The ORFISH project aims at providing a platform for exchange of knowledge on low-impact offshore fishing techniques among fishers from the outermost regions with a view to developing and optimizing these techniques and with the principal objective of alleviating fishing pressure on coastal fish resources.
The specific objectives of the project are the following:
- Raising awareness of the opportunities to develop innovative fishing techniques allowing to divert fishing effort away from coastal resources
- Developing and testing low impact fishing techniques adapted to the bio-geographical conditions of each OR.
- Creating alternative sustainable fishing opportunities that will help to consolidate jobs in the fishing industry and ensure a steady supply of fisheries products to local markets.
- Exchanging of best practice on low-impact offshore fishing techniques between ORs, which will also do good to overseas countries and territories (OCTs) and third countries
- Improving communication among the OR's fishing sectors as part of the good functioning of the Advisory Council on Outermost Regions.
The activities that will receive financial support shall be:
- General management and implementation of the project.
- Provision of scientific and technical support to the different phases of the project.
- Provision of material, services and logistics for the execution of the project.
- Collation of existing technical information on experimental fishing conducted on off-shore fishing grounds carried out under scientifically controlled conditions and properly documented.
- Organization of seminars and workshops disseminating the above-mentioned information and receiving the input from experimented fishermen on offshore fisheries.
- Design and execution of experimental fishing trips in areas not explored so far or with innovative fishing gear.
- Design and execution of internet-based consultation and communication tools.
- Analysis of the results of experimental fishing, together with biological and economic data, showing the feasibility of further developing efficient low-impact offshore fisheries.
- Establish the managerial requirements for the existing and future off-shore fisheries to become long-term sustainable and contributing to the CFP objectives.
- Any other activity demonstrably contributing to the objectives of the project.